Hello friends, today it is 98°F and I swear I can see the summer suns heatwave hovering above the sidewalk. Ahhh summer I love and hate it. I’m sharing some summer randomness today. Three things you can do with icecube trays, sunscreen FYI, and berry picking.
3 Things you can do with ice cube trays this summer.
• Freeze fresh herbs in oil and pop one out of the tray when you’re ready to sauté.
• Make watermelon ice cubes. Puree fresh watermelon and freeze. When you’re looking for a refreshing summer drink, add one or two watermelon cubes to plain or sparkling water.
• Did you know distilled water freezes faster? It also makes clearer ice cubes because it has fewer minerals and impurities.
• Wear your sunscreen my friends. You need an SPF (sun protection factor) of 30 or higher, it needs to be broad-spectrum (protects against UVA and UVB rays) and water-resistant is great too. The suggested amount of sunscreen needed to cover your exposed skin is one ounce. That‘s about a shot glass full!
• It’s recommended to apply sunscreen about 15 minutes prior to going outside. Reapply every hour or two.
• If you have aging skin, don’t we all? It’s important to wear sunscreen daily, not just in the summer. Use SPF 70 or SPF 100 for your face.
• Lips get sunburned too, so apply an SPF lip balm too.
Right now, it’s berry picking season and strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries are calling your name. I remember going on walks with my mother and we’d take a little pail with us and pick blackberries. We picked them like this- one to eat and one for the pail, one to eat, and none for the pail and then one to eat and one for the pail (smile).
How do you know when to pick fresh berries?
• The sweet smell of berries increases as they ripen. If the berry bush smells sweet then the chances are good that they are ready to pick.
• Still not sure? Take a bite, pop one in your mouth. It should taste sweet and it should be firm but not hard.
• The best time of day to pick berries is early in the morning. It’s a lot cooler on a summer morning too.
Well, there you have it a bit of summer randomness. I hope there’s some berry picking in your future and please wear your sunscreen.a Rafflecopter giveaway