It may be winter here but today the weather was more like spring . Either way this time of the year is soup time. Wonderful tummy working and fresh homemade goodness. This recipe is perfect for left over chicken or ready to eat rotisserie chicken and it can be easily adapted to a dairy free and migraine safe recipe ( please know your food triggers and read the entire ingredient list before making any of my recipes). You can find restricted diet substitutions below and if you are not on a restricted diet you can try different cheeses in this yummy soup. Like Colby, Havarti and Gouda or smoked Gouda too. You will want to use the semi soft cheeses.
This recipe is perfect for left over chicken or ready to eat rotisserie chicken.
For The Rice
What You Need
- 1 Tbsp. Canola oil
- 1/4 Cup long grain rice
- 1 Cup wild rice
- 3/4 Cup angel hair pasta ( broken into small pieces)
- 2-3 Cloves garlic (minced)*
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley leaves, chopped (optional) hubby doesn’t always like it the rice in so I often leave it out
- 2 1/2 Cups chicken stock
- Large saucepan or pot with lid
Before You Start- Prepare the rice and set aside. You will add this to the soup later.
Lets Make It! Add oil, wild rice and pasta bits to saucepan, over medium heat stir regularly until the pasta turns golden brown, add garlic parsley and chicken broth. Stir mixture, reduce heat to medium low, cover and cook for about 15- 20 minutes (until liquid is gone and you can fluff it with a fork). This rice is a great side dish too no box needed.
For The Soup
What You Need
- 2 Cups cooked chicken (chopped into bite sized pieces)
- 2 Tbsp. canola (or vegetable oil)
- 4 Cups chicken broth
- 2 Cups new potatoes (cleaned, peeled and cut into small bite size pieces)
- ½ Cup carrots peeled and sliced
- ¾ Cup mushrooms ( dry cleaned and sliced)
- 2 Cups milk
- 1/4 Cup flour (all purpose)
- 3/4 Cup medium cheddar cheese (grated)
- 3/4 Cup fresh Parmesan cheese (grated)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Clove garlic (minced)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley leaves, chopped (optional also for garnish)
- Large soup pot or pasta pot with lid (needs to hold at least 8 cups of liquid)
Lets Make It!
Add oil and garlic to soup pot and sauté for about 3-5 minutes (or until soft) over low heat. Add broth, carrots, mushrooms and potatoes, increase heat to medium high and bring to a rolling boil. Reduce heat, add mushrooms and cover. Let simmer 10-15 minutes (or until carrots and potato are fork tender). Remove from heat, add milk and flour whisking well until smooth. Return to low heat, add cheeses, and stir until well blended and cheese is well incorporated. Add prepared rice, parsley, salt and pepper stirring well to combine. If soup is too thick add more milk a little at a time until your preferred thickness is achieved.
Katies Tid Bits* substitute equal parts lactose free milk or soy milk ( this recipe does not work well with nut milks) Use lactose free cheeses, also works well with rice cheeses ( they come in a variety of flavors) but increase by ¼ cup. If you are not on a restricted diet try different cheeses in this yummy soup. Like Colby, Havarti and Gouda or smoked Gouda too. Any semi soft cheeses.
If you are not on a restricted diet- Substitute 1/4 cup white onion instead of garlic in the soup mixture. Try using 1 1/2 cups milk and 1/2 cup cream or buttermilk)
Is it soup weather where you are? Are you ready to try my Cream of Chicken and Rice Soup?
I hope to see you all back here for the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop ( you can start linking tomorrow at 7pm (MST) Don’ forget to come back on Friday for the new giveaway!