Biscuits and Gravy-
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. The truth is I could eat breakfast for every meal of the day. But, only if my hubby makes the scrambled eggs. Hubby’s eggs are so fluffy they float off the plate. Growing up our wonderful Mother would make a hot breakfast for us every morning. She would put it in the oven (on warm) before she left for work. I’d take it out of the oven and my brother and I would have a nice hot breakfast before school.
Hubby loves country sausage gravy and biscuits (not to be confused with cookies which are called biscuits in England) and a couple of eggs. I’m sharing a simple and tasty way to start the day. This not a restricted diet recipe.
What You Need
I Roll of refrigerator buttermilk biscuits ( I use Grands!™ Flaky Layers Buttermilk Biscuits) found in your market’s dairy section
3/4 lb. Pork sausage (crumbled)
1 Tbsp. canola oil
1/2 Cup butter
1/2 Cup flour
1 Clove garlic crushed
1 Tbsp. black pepper
1/2 Tbsp. red pepper flakes (crushed) optional
1/4 Cup water (reserved)
1 ½ Cups buttermilk
Colander or sieve
Lets Make It!
Before you Start- Bake biscuits according to directions and set aside (cover with tea towel or foil to keep them warm)
• In a skillet over medium heat, add cooking oil, garlic and sausage. Cook, stirring often to assure sausage is cooked through and browned (no pink), stirring frequently. Using colander or sieve drain off oil and set sausage aside.
• Reduce heat to low, add butter, when melted slowly add flour, whisking well to incorporate.
• Slowly add buttermilk, whisking well,
• Add cooked sausage, black pepper and red pepper and cook until mixture thickens, stirring often. If it is too thick add water 1 Tbsp. at a time until preferred thickness is achieved.
• Spoon sausage gravy over prepared biscuits.
Katies Tid Bits* substitute ¼ cup of finely minced onion instead of garlic for a bit more spice. Make your own biscuits, this recipe is great with Pillsbury crescent rolls and croissant rolls too.
We have a winner for the In The Pink Giveaway. Please join me in congratulating Darby! Watch for he new giveaway this Friday.
I hope to see you all back here for the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop. Early birds and friend overseas can start linking tomorrow at 7 pm ( MST).
Do you make Biscuits and Gravy ?
Enjoy your day, do something to make someone smile and eat your breakfast ( wink).Thank you for spending time at Katherines Corner and for taking the time to comment ( in the reply box) Every comment feels like a HUG. It is my sincere hope that you will leave here feeling encouraged and inspired enough to subscribe and to visit often.
thank you hugs coming your way