Cooking Ingredient Substitutions
We have all been there, you are half way into your recipe and you realize you don’t have one of the ingredients. The herb jar is empty, or if you or someone you cook for has dietary restriction. Food allergies can have you scrambling for a substitute ingredient too. Or if you are like me and everything has to be “unleaded” ( no sugar, no dairy, no caffeine, no honey, no alcohol and no migraine trigger foods.) I know it can be frustrating. Today I am sharing some of my favorite cooking ingredient substitutions. Just print out this list and keep it in your kitchen and use it as a reference whenever you need it.
Click HERE for the free printable or just copy and print from this post and size it as you like.
• Allspice for 1 tsp. use- ½ tsp. cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg
• Baking powder for 1 tsp. use 1/2 tsp cream of tartar plus 1/4 tsp. baking soda
• Basil use equal measure oregano or thyme
• Bread crumbs use equal measure cracker crumbs or corn flake crumbs
• Brown sugar for 1 cup use 1 cup white granulated sugar and ¼ tsp. molasses
• Cardamom use equal measure ginger
• Chives use equal measure green onion or leek
• Cilantro use equal measure parsley
• Cinnamon for 1 tsp. use 1/4 tsp. nutmeg or allspice
• Cornstarch (for thickening only) for 1 Tbsp. use 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
• Corn syrup for 1 cup use 1 cup granulated sugar plus 1/4 cup water
• Dill equal measure tarragon
• Ginger use equal measure allspice, cinnamon or nutmeg
• Honey for 1 cup use 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar plus 1/4 cup water
• Italian style bread crumbs please see my homemade Italian bread crumbs recipe HERE
• Lemon ( not for flavor) use equal measure lime or distilled vinegar
• Lime (not for flavor) use equal measure lemon or distilled vinegar
• Margarine use equal measure salted butter
• Mascarpone cheese use equal measure regular cream cheese
• Molasses use equal measure honey
• Nutmeg use equal measure cinnamon or ginger
• Olive oil use equal measure canola oil
• Oregano use equal measure basil
• Parsley use equal measure cilantro
• Rosemary use equal measure thyme or tarragon
• Sour cream use equal measure plain yogurt
• Taco seasoning please see my homemade recipe HERE
• Thyme use equal measure basil or oregano
• Vinegar use equal measure lemon juice
Of course it is always best to use the ingredient called for in the recipe . But, when you are in a pinch , or on a restricted diet these are my tried and true cooking substitutions.
What cooking substitutions do you often use?
Looking forward to all you have to share at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop. You can start linking up tomorrow at 7 PM (MST) Please share the hop with others.
Don’t forget to enter the GIVEAWAYS, just click HERE to find them all.