Hello friends, Happy Earth Day! Did you know each year has a different theme to focus on? This year it is “Invest in our Planet”. Encouraging individuals, businesses and world leaders to invest in and use greener technologies and practices. My husband works for a well-known worldwide company that has been using greener technologies and manufacturing practices for many years. They are often acknowledged for their low impact on the planet. He has worked there for over 30 years and sees the results of these practices first hand.
In our home we work hard to leave a small waste impact and carbon footprint. We recycle, up-cycle and use reusable products that lessen our impact on earth. Unfortunately our area doesn’t have recycling yet. But they do have green waste. So, we make the commitment to take our recyclables to our local recycler ourselves.
Protecting and preserving our planet will benefit us, and future generations as well.
Here are a just a few of the many ways to lessen your impact on the planet and leave a smaller footprint. (smile).
- You can start by using the Three R’s, Reduce, Reuse and Recycle. Reduce your impact by lessening what goes into your landfill. Reuse what you can and recycle what you can.
- Use cloth napkins instead of paper.
- Use recycled items whenever possible.
- Volunteer for cleanups in your community and make sure green waste is not put in your landfill but shredded, mulched etc.
- Help others understand the importance and value of our natural resources.
- Conserve water by installing water-saving shower heads, taking shorter showers, turning off the water while brushing your teeth or shaving. Watering your lawns during the coolest hours of the day. Plant drought resistant trees and plants. Sweep patios steps and porches instead of hosing them down.
- Be a consciousness shopper. Buy less things wrapped in plastic, use your own cloth bags and use lingerie or similar bags when shopping for produce. Please see New Uses for Old things HERE
- Use energy efficient light bulbs and remember to turn off the lights when you leave a room.
- Plant a tree. Trees provide food and oxygen. They help save energy, clean the air, and help combat climate change.
It is my hope these tips will help conserve natural resources and keep your local landfill space small.
How do you keep your impact on the earth and your carbon footprint small?
You can still add your blog posts to the TFT blog hop HERE until Saturday at midnight.