That Apple Stuff-
I’m a cook not a baker. But, you all know that already don’t you my friends ( wink). We all know I do share a lot more main course “meal” recipes than I do dessert recipes. But, I love the idea of baking from scratch (fresh is best my friends) even if it does turn into a mess sometimes. Over the holidays I came up with a deliciously simple recipe that I call, That Apple Stuff! Oh my goodness it is delicious. I have created a few other apple recipes too, you can find them HERE. It takes approximately 5 minutes to prepare and then about 20 minutes baking in the oven. You will love it. I have to make mine low sugar, but as always, I have substitutions for those of you who are not on a restricted diet. This recipe is so easy, I thought it might be fun to try a fancy pastry style. I’m still working on making my desserts look as tasty as they truly are.
I’m going to keep trying because this is what I want to achieve!
This is Living Locurto’s Chocolate Braid ( please click to get her yummy post) you will find it pinned to my dessert board.
Please pin from her blog, this is her photo ( found on pinterest).
I’ll keep trying and I’ll keep you posted. Okay, lets make some of That Apple Stuff!
What You Need
Refrigerated pre made pie dough* (I use Pillsbury)
3 Large pink lady apples (peeled cored and chopped)*
3 Tbsp. Lactose free margarine (melted)*
½ cup brown sugar substitute
1/2 cup white sugar substitute ( I use Splenda)*
1 ½ tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Nutmeg
1 Tbsp. apple pie spice ( I use McCormick)
Medium mixing bowl
Before You Start- Melt margarine and set aside. Let dough come up to room temperature (follow the instructions on the box). Preheat oven to 425°
Let’s Make It!
1. Peel core and chop apples.
2. Add apples and one Tbsp. melted margarine to mixing bowl and toss to coat all apples.
3. Add dry ingredients and combine all well. Set aside.
4. Place dough on parchment paper on your counter (make sure the parchment paper is the right size for your baking sheet.)
5. Select your pastry style and scoop your apple filling evenly into your folded, braid or smooshed pastry dough. Use melted margarine to baste edges ( to seal them)
6. When filled pierce with a fork
fold pastry dough in half using a butter knife cut slits about half way up. Unfold ( gently, I messed up on a couple)and spoon in that apple stuff filling. Turn the end up on itself and using your remaining melted margarine, brush to seal dough to itself.( like wrapping a burrito). Alternate moving each strip one at a time over the other. Dab each piece with a bit of melted margarine. Repeat until braid is about 1/2 inch from the top. Fold pastry dough in on itself and baste to seal and then add your last braid section. Brush top of completed braid with remaining margarine.
7. Grasping from both sides of the parchment paper lift and place your apple stuff onto the baking sheet.
8. Bake for 15-25 minutes (check progress at 15 minutes), crust should be lightly brown (golden) not brown.
9. Remove from oven and let rest on baking sheet for 5-10 minutes (just enough time to thaw out some ice cream to top it off with).*
*I use pink lady apples because they don’t give me reflux. You can also use gala or honey crisp. You can try it with a tart granny apple too.You can use stevia but 1/2 as muchand add 1 tsp more melted margarine.* use butter instead, reduce by ½ Tbsp. Use brown sugar ( equal part)
* I can’t eat ice cream but hubby can
See you tomorrow for the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop, I have a little surprise for you. Link up starts at 7pm (MST) for my friends over seas and my early birds.
Will you be making That Apple Stuff? Will you try the braid? Do you already know how to braid pastry?
thank you hugs coming your way